Wednesday, October 16, 2013

New project...and old...

     For some crazy reason I decided to start a new EPP project.  I am calling it "Drops of Honey".  The inspiration came from the book Quilting on the Go.  The book has several projects I would like to make, so this book will be used for many years.  I am trying glue basting this time to see how I like it.  So far I am not sure I will continue with the glue even though it is faster.  Attaching the hexies together is a lot harder. 

     I also started some hot pads for Christmas presents.  I am making simple 9-patch blocks and quilting a quarter inch on either side of the seams.  I need to make 6 sets.   On my first block I learned a few things.  One, use less spray baste.  Two, make sure that the 3 year old doesn't change stitch length without me knowing and cuss out Stella (my machine) for not sewing correctly.  She adjusted the stitch length all the way down to paper piecing length and I was having to force the block through.  I finally turned off the machine and restarted her and saw the red light for error go off and knew what was wrong.  After that everything ran smoothly.  Needless to say this tester block will be mine.  Third,  rewatch a binding tute.  It has been so long I cut the beginning of my binding wrong.  Time to go back to basics!!

     Now for the old.  I made a list of started projects or WIP's.  WAY too many!!! I can't even put the number in print here because I am embarrassed.  Some of the projects are very close to being finished, such as sashing strips needing to be cut for a few more rows, sewing blocks into rows.  I would say a handful of the projects could be finished by the end of the month.  When I made the list I tried to place things in order of priority, but I am finding that I want to work on what I feel like.  So that is the route I probably will go.  I haven't had a finish for about 5 months.  It is time to change that.  I also have 5 tops ready to be basted.  Thinking of goals for next year, I have one I want to improve upon which is not buying any new fabric, use what I have.  A new goal is to get some of these WIP's crossed off my list.  My last goal for the New Year is to tackle some fears with sewing.....zippers and curves.  Last month I baught a dress for Zoe that was $40 on sale and it wasn't my first choice.  It is a little shorter then I would like and if she hits a growth spurt it won't last.  I would rather spend the money on fabric and make her some dresses with longer hems, therefore I need to tackle zippers.  A few of my WIP's have curves and my fear of ripping multiple seams have put them in the WIP pile. 

     Hopefully my next post will have some progress to report or better yet a finish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment