background

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Working at last!

On Saturday, I dragged Newell to Brighton to a quilt store that I had not been to that also sold sewing machines.  It was really close to closing time and the lady manning the store was a gem.  She searched through all her screws in the back and when none of them would work she started on her floor model machines and found a needle clamp screw that would work.  I came close to hugging the lady.  I need to go back because she used one of her needles to make sure the screw would hold the needle in place, and she left the needle in the machine.  I want to go back and pay for the needle,  not only is it the right thing to do, I love the shop.  There was a very nice selection of bolts and samples all over the store.  I am going back again for sure!  Classes are also offered and a new schedule starts in May, I can't wait to see what they offer.

I couldn't get to sewing until Sunday.  I started on the ticker tape doll quilt, and worked on a mug rug.  The doll quilt will take longer then I thought it would, but I am liking how it looks.  This will need to be done by the end of the month.  Yesterday I worked on the second mug rug and I just need to do the binding on both and get them in the mail by Friday.  The other swap due this month is a 12-inch block.  I have the fabric and the block in mind, now I just need to get it done.  Pictures will be posted when they are each completed.

Tomorrow is QC 101 Week 2:  Design.  I am really looking forward to the lesson.  I do a little design myself but I want to see what a more experienced quilter does to work out her plan.  Rebecca had a sneak peak of some design materials:  grid paper and pencils.  So I picked me up some grid paper and will gather pencils and rulers so I am ready for class.

I am not doing very good with two of my goals I made:  not buying fabric or pattern books.  I picked up a copy of "The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt" book and of course had to have new material so the quilt will  not be scrappy.  I placed a second order with Connecting Threads this week with material for the FWSQ.  I am going to use the Canning Day fabric line which is repos of 1930's fabric.  The quilt is from the 1920's but I liked the lighter colors from the Canning Day line.  I am hoping to get one block done this week or weekend.  With a total of 111 6" blocks. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment