On Saturday, I dragged Newell to Brighton to a quilt store that I had not been to that also sold sewing machines. It was really close to closing time and the lady manning the store was a gem. She searched through all her screws in the back and when none of them would work she started on her floor model machines and found a needle clamp screw that would work. I came close to hugging the lady. I need to go back because she used one of her needles to make sure the screw would hold the needle in place, and she left the needle in the machine. I want to go back and pay for the needle, not only is it the right thing to do, I love the shop. There was a very nice selection of bolts and samples all over the store. I am going back again for sure! Classes are also offered and a new schedule starts in May, I can't wait to see what they offer.
I couldn't get to sewing until Sunday. I started on the ticker tape doll quilt, and worked on a mug rug. The doll quilt will take longer then I thought it would, but I am liking how it looks. This will need to be done by the end of the month. Yesterday I worked on the second mug rug and I just need to do the binding on both and get them in the mail by Friday. The other swap due this month is a 12-inch block. I have the fabric and the block in mind, now I just need to get it done. Pictures will be posted when they are each completed.
Tomorrow is QC 101 Week 2: Design. I am really looking forward to the lesson. I do a little design myself but I want to see what a more experienced quilter does to work out her plan. Rebecca had a sneak peak of some design materials: grid paper and pencils. So I picked me up some grid paper and will gather pencils and rulers so I am ready for class.
I am not doing very good with two of my goals I made: not buying fabric or pattern books. I picked up a copy of "The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt" book and of course had to have new material so the quilt will not be scrappy. I placed a second order with Connecting Threads this week with material for the FWSQ. I am going to use the Canning Day fabric line which is repos of 1930's fabric. The quilt is from the 1920's but I liked the lighter colors from the Canning Day line. I am hoping to get one block done this week or weekend. With a total of 111 6" blocks.